Across the trail of time I go
to the place I had once found
my pace in hiking - the first
time. Hiking the Horseshoe
Trail, each step reminds my me
where the gentle portions of my
soul had picked out the way a
footfall feeds a heartbeat; and a
heartbeat lulls the soul to
sleeping while yet wide awake.
The scent of the earth here is
made up of hickory bark and black
walnut shells. The sight of humus
is fraught with worms determined
to consume every nutrient at
their surround. So pebbled is the
dirt it crumbles as I pull out
strands of Canary Grass - in
great clumps - fistfuls at a time.
How can so much from the past
be laced into my very steps today.
Does not the earth herself re-
member me from passing this way
more than once. She must. But still
my life has meanings here, if she does
not. Meanings bent on giving me
over to the grandeur of becoming
more than a man. But, less than a
god. Pure spirit, yes spirit. Hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment